I know that a lot of the country is still under a thick veil of snow. Many of you are still fighting with freezing fingers to scrape off that impenetrable layer of frost from your car – a terrible, terrible task. But on my side of the continental divide, things are looking like spring! The sun is out, birds are chirping, and I even had my snow tires removed last week.
For me, this change in weather is always coupled with a change in taste. I start to crave crunchy, fresh, light, crisp, and easy to throw together. Out goes the soup and in comes the salad. These crunch rolls satisfied a major spring food craving.
Wishing you all warmer weather!
- 12 rice paper rolls
- 2 medium or 1 large avocado , mashed
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 recipe Tang Sauce (follows)
- Fill a large bowl with warm water and set out on your workspace. Wet a kitchen towel with warm water and wring out any excess(I find a non-fuzzy towel works best here. The towel should be damp, but not wet ). Spread the dampened towel out on your work surface.
- Place one rice paper in the bowl of warm water. Allow the rice paper to soften in the water for 5-10 seconds. Remove and place the rice paper on the damp towel. Spread on some mashed avocado, top with cabbage, carrots, and zucchini. Add as many cilantro leaves as desired. Fold in the top and bottom of the rice paper. Fold in the third side and roll just like you would a burrito. The rice paper will stick to itself and seal in all of the veggies. Repeat with the remaining rolls.
To keep the avocado looking fresh, you can stir in 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or lime juice into your mashed avocado before assembling the rolls.
Don’t be intimidated by rolling the rice paper. Think burrito and you will be just fine.
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos OR liquid aminos
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic , finely minced
- 2 inch piece of ginger , finely minced
- Simply whisk all of the ingredients together and serve.