This week I have a real treasure for you. I discovered a line of healthy whole food gourmet alt-milks. With flavors like Fig Coconut Milk and Pear Almond Milk, I was in heaven. The company that makes these inspiring milks is called Chaste Foods and they are located in Houston, TX. I stumbled upon this company through Instagram. Oh, the powers of social media. The owner was so kind to ship me a few flavors. I was able to try the Fig Coconut Milk and the Coconut Eggnog. One sip and I was sold. These were some serious nut milks.
I love finding people making healthy products with creativity. Chaste’s addition of pears and figs – the real fruit, not extracts! – to their alt-milks really makes for a delicious treat. I immediately thought that these milks would be a great way to add flavor to oatmeal, one of my favorite foods. I was right. FLAVOR EXPLOSION.
- 1 cup Chaste Fig Coconut milk or alt-milk of choice
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon Celtic salt
- 1 cup rolled oats (Gluten-Free if needed)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds (optional)
- 2 dried figs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pear, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cardamom
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons toasted hazelnuts (see notes)
More pear for garnish (optional)
- In a medium saucepan bring alt-milk, water, and salt to a boil. Stir in oats, chia seeds, and hemp seeds. Cook on a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed and the oats are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the dried figs, pear, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and vanilla bean paste. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and top each serving with 1 tablespoon toasted hazelnuts. If desired, top with additional pear slices to garnish and serve.
For a nut-free option, omit the hazelnuts and be sure to use a non nut alt-milk.