Valentines Day is an excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast, right? Please don’t say no, cuz I have an epic chocolate-filled dessert-inspired breakfast just for you. This —> Red Velvet Overnight Oatmeal = EVERYTHING.
Just imagine it, digging into a bowl of creamy, velvety, chocolate-filled, satisfying, and secretly healthy (say what?) Valentine’s Day approved oatmeal. Top with coconut whipped cream if you like. Drizzle it with melted dark chocolate if you please. Any way you have it, this breakfast is an A++.
Now for the secretly healthy part. Most red velvet recipes rely on red food coloring to achieve their signature hue. Since many people striving to live a healthier diet want to steer clear of these color creating chemicals, I also wanted to avoid using them in this recipe. So instead of pulling food coloring out of the cupboard, I reached for the crisper drawer and pulled out… beets.
I know. So weird. What. Is. Happening.
Well skeptical friends, I was doubtful at first as well, but after a few rounds of recipe testing, I found that a teeny tiny 2 teaspoon fulls of shredded beet went completely undetected in this chocolaty breakfast magic. It also turned the oats the most perfect shade of “red velvet” red.
Now, please don’t do the world an injustice and reserve this delicacy for Valentine’s Day only. Promise me you’ll make it to celebrate making it halfway through the week on Wednesday, whip it up so that you have the determination to make it through Monday, and have some in your fridge so that you can pull it out for a lazy Sunday breakfast.
- 2 teaspoons packed finely grated beet
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 - 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- Add all the ingredients, except oats, into a blender and blend until smooth. Combine with the oats and ladle into jars. Let the oatmeal sit overnight and the next morning serve with desired toppings
For a nut free version sub in a non nut based milk.