African Peanut Stew is a recipe that is packed with flavor! This healthy vegan soup is loaded with broccoli, chickpeas, and a nutty and creamy peanut butter and tomato broth.
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15) oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups small broccoli florets (from about 1 large head)
- 1 (15) oz can chickpeas
- Peanuts and cilantro for topping (optional)
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Add in the onion and sweet potato. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 7-10 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- While the onion is cooking, stir together all of the spices and salt. Add it to the pot along with the tomato paste. Stir well to combine and sauté for about 1 minute or until the spices are very fragrant. Add in the tomato sauce and peanut butter and stir. Add in the veggie broth, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Next, add in the broccoli and chickpeas. Cover and simmer until the broccoli is tender, about 7-10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve topped with peanuts and cilantro, if desired.