Last week we launched with Avocado Butter. Like homemade avocado flavored vegan butter. Are you guys obsessed yet? I am. It is easy, delicious, and the perfect healthy butter substitute. I gave a few suggestions for what you could do with this divine spread, but as I experimented with it myself, I found my favorite use: Avocado Butter Mashed Potatoes.
These are stop-everything-you-are-doing-now-and-run-to-the-kitchen good. And avocado is so hip right now. So use their hipness to expand your hipness and serve these potatoes to all your with-it friends and they will be super impressed.
In this recipe we combine creamy mashed potatoes with dallops of avocado butter that melts right into the potatoes for a rich and healthy buttery avocado heaven flavor. These potatoes are light and fluffy, mildly avocado flavored, comfort food to the max, and deliciously delicious. After making them, I recommend serving them with extra Avocado Butter. Add an extra dollop to your plated mashed potatoes and it will melt into a glistening pool of butter greatness on top of the potatoes. Yesssss. Butter greatness.
Now, you might be thinking, Laurel, do you expect my child/husband/girlfriend/any human you might be taking care of to dive into a mound of…um…. GREEN potatoes without batting an eye????
No. I expect they’ll need some encouragement. I mean, they are green after all, and green things can be weird. BUT, after one tentatively taken bite, I fully expect them to demolish the rest of the potatoes on their plate and ask for seconds. Bye, bye fear of green foods. And just think about how that could change your life.
- 3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes , cubed (peeled if desired)
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk of choice
- 1/2 cup avocado butter , plus more for serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions , optional
- Add potatoes to a pot and cover with water. Add in a big pinch of salt and boil until tender. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Add the non dairy milk to the potatoes and using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until they are to your desired consistency. Add in the avocado butter, salt, pepper, and scallions if using. Stir to combine and serve with extra dollops of avocado butter.