This Chocolate Cherry Smoothie is like having dessert for breakfast. It can be whipped up in just a few minutes, making great for busy mornings.
Smoothies are 100% my weekday breakfast of choice, and this smoothie right here… absolute favorite!
It is like drinking creamy chocolate cherry dessert for breakfast without the guilt, because we sneak a liiiiiiiiiittle spinach in the blender.
Not a fan of green smoothies? It is undetectable, untraceable, and completely absolutely certainly hidden by all of the cherry chocolate goodness going on in this glass. I mean, can you see the spinach? Look deep into the glass…
Can’t taste it either. Pat yourself on the back for getting in those greens.
And to all my green smoothie lovas out there, you still won’t be able to taste the spinach, but I promise its there.
Joining the spinach party in the blender, we have:
- Cacao powder: Cacao powder is basically minimally processed cocoa powder. If you don’t have cacao, replace it with cocoa. No harm, no foul.
- Sweet dark cherries: Cherries are summertime candy. They are sweet and juicy and provide the main flavor component in this drink. Without them, we’d be lost.
- Banana: Was there ever a good smoothie without a banana in it? Bananas add creaminess, sweetness, and body. We freeze the banana beforehand, so it cools down the smoothie and creates a milkshake-like constancy.
- Cacao nibs: Cacao nibs are chocolate in its purest form. These beans get ground down into chocolate. As they are, they are basically natures unsweetened chocolate chips. If you want more of a dessert drink, you can swap them out for some semisweet or dark chocolate chips.
- Unsweetened almond milk: Almond milk helps to get everything moving in the blender. If your blender is struggling to blend you smoothie, add in more almond milk. Less for a thicker, shake-like consistency and more for a thinner, juice-like consistency.
Blend that all together and you have a Chocolate Cherry Smoothie that is chock full of vitamins and minerals, but tastes like dessert. I kinda have a thing for breakfasts that taste like dessert (Exhibit A, B, C, D, E).
I ask you, what better way to start the morning than by eating/drinking something that tastes like it should be reserved for those after dinner weekend dessert times. Pure happiness. It doesn’t matter what side of the bed you woke up on. Having this Chocolate Cherry Smoothie for breakfast practically ensures a good morning.
This Chocolate Cherry Smoothie is super fast, a necessity for getting out the door in the morning. I would love to say I am the person who sits down at the table, sips coffee, and enjoys breakfast while leisurely reading the newspaper. But that ain’t gonna happen in my lifetime. I am more like a vortex, dashing through the house trying not to blow over everything in my way while attempting to get out of the door on time.
Does anyone else feel like time moves at least TWELVE TIMES as fast in the mornings?
And if this human right here can sneak in a few minutes to whip up this smoothie, you can too.
On your mark, get set, BLEND!
- 1 large banana , previously peeled and frozen
- 1 cup dark sweet cherries
- 1 cup packed spinach
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs , optional
- Add the spinach and almond milk into the blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Add in the banana, cherries, and cacao powder. Blend until smooth.
- Add in the cacao nibs and pulse a few times to combine. Pour into a glass and serve.