This hearty and comforting Vegan Tortilla Soup is an easy 30 minute weeknight dinner! This one pot meal is topped with simple homemade tortilla strips.
There are a bazillion things to love about this Vegan Tortilla Soup! And as much as I would love to list out its many glowing attributes, let’s just chat about the top few:
- full of hearty things like pinto beans, black beans, and sweet sweet corn
- which are swimming in a chili spiced (but not too spicy) tomato broth
- and topped with seriously simple homemade tortilla strips (you can do this!)
- plus, it comes together in 30 minutes with one pot and a sheet pan
There you have it. This soup is basically weeknight meal perfection.
And for bonus points on top of an already killer dish, you can add all the toppings your heart desires to this Vegan Tortilla Soup. I like to add a few buttery chinks of avocado, some pickled jalapeño, cilantro (my one true herb love), and a hefty squeeze of lime juice to wake it all up. And let’s not forget those tortilla strips. They are really something special.
What’s that? You want to know if you can use regular tortilla strips in your Vegan Tortilla Soup?
Short answer: Technically, yes.
Long answer: Please use these homemade tortilla strips instead. They are so easy to make, cook while the soup cooks so they add no extra time and are seasoned heavily with chili powder and salt for extra flavor. They are thicker and crunchier than tortilla chips and just all around better in this soup. Trust. You will not regret making these strips.
This hearty and comforting Vegan Tortilla Soup is an easy 30 minute weeknight dinner! This one pot meal is topped with simple homemade tortilla strips for crunch.
For the soup:
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 (14.5) oz. cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the tortilla strips:
- 10 corn tortillas (try this easy homemade recipe!), cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
More soup toppings (optional):
- Pickled jalapeno
- Diced avocado
- A juicy squeeze of lime
Make the tortilla strips:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the tortilla strips on a baking tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with chili powder and salt. Toss evenly to coat. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the strips are crispy and beginning to brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Make the soup:
- While the tortilla strips are in the oven, start the soup. Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Once the oil is hot, add in the onion and jalapeno. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has started to soften, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and chili powder and sauté for another 30 seconds to 1 minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve topped with tortilla strips and other desired toppings. Enjoy!