Picture yourself on a slow weekend morning, baking with a warm mug of coffee and some good tunes.
Which leads to a batch of cinnamon rolls that are oozing their sweet and sticky cinnamon sugar filling as you pull them out of the oven. Then smother them with a perfectly sweet and tart cream cheese glaze. They have caramelized edges and almost underdone and gooey centers.
And these cinnamon rolls happen to be GLUTEN FREE but have all the cinnamon bun qualities we know and love.
The dough starts with this pizza crust recipe. Yes, the same one we used to make pizza, garlic knots, and breadsticks now gives us these magic fluffy cinnamon rolls. We add in a little extra honey while making the dough for a sweet roll that gets nice and caramelized in the oven.
Then the filling is as simple as butter, coconut sugar, and lots of cinnamon. And just to make these cinnamon rolls really shine, we whip up a simple 2 ingredient cream cheese glaze to lovingly drizzle over the top.
One thing to note here: Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls are a labor of love. There is mixing, rising, chilling, rising, freezing, baking etc. They are not for the faint of heart nor the best candidate for a quick dessert.
But when the stars aline, when you have a morning to spare and the ingredients on hand, nothing is better than biting into a still warm, perfectly baked, gooey and glazed cinnamon roll.Print
Gluten free cinnamon rolls with a sweet and sticky filling, caramelized edges and soft gooey centers, topped with a tangy and sweet vegan cream cheese glaze. Made with whole grain pizza dough, honey, and coconut sugar. The perfect sweet breakfast or brunch roll!
For the dough:
- 1 recipe Gluten Free Pizza Dough
- 2 tablespoons honey
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup room temperature Easy Vegan Butter (or store bought butter)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
For the cream cheese glaze:
- 1/2 cup Easy Vegan Cream Cheese (or store bought cream cheese)
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- Follow the directions for Gluten Free Pizza Dough, but add in an extra 2 tablespoons honey and stop after the dough has chilled in the fridge for 1 hour.
- After the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grab a piece of parchment paper. Turn the dough out onto the parchment and pat the dough into a large rectangle that is about 1/2 inch thick. If the dough sticks to your hands, give them a spray with nonstick oil. Place the dough into the freezer for 20 minutes to firm up.
- While the dough it in the freezer, add coconut sugar and cinnamon into a small bowl and whisk them together. Use your fingers to “pinch” the butter into the cinnamon and sugar. You can also use a fork and mash it together until it is well combined.
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray. Remove the dough from the freezer and evenly sprinkle on the filling mixture. Roll the dough into a log, peeling off the parchment as you go.
- Slice the log into cinnamon rolls that are about 2 inches tall. Place the cinnamon rolls into the muffin tin. Loosely cover them with plastic and let them rise for 45 minute to 1 hour. They should increase in size and look puffy.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they look golden brown.
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking, add the cream cheese to a bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Beat until everything is well incorporated. Pour the mixture over the cinnamon rolls and serve.
Keywords: gluten free, vegan, pizza dough, cream cheese glaze, glazed,