These Healthy Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes are a valentine’s day dream come true! Rich gluten-free vegan chocolate cupcakes are smothered in a frosting made from fresh raspberries. The perfect fruity and chocolaty dessert!
These cupcakes = valentines day winning. Period.
Galentine’s day night in with a marathon of rom coms and a dozen of these Healthy Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes? The perfect night.
Post dinner Valentine’s dessert with your date? Couldn’t get any better.
Morning V-Day breakfast in bed?#treatyoself
Healthy Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes!
Did you catch that? Healthy, chocolate, and cupcakes all in one sentence! This is what dreams are made of. Add in some raspberry frosting and it is the literal icing on the (cup)cake.
There are a couple tricks to make these Healthy Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes taste like a decadent dessert.
First, sweet potato is actually meant for desserts. I 100% believe this. ITs smooth consistancy and sweet caramel taste takes these Healthy Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes to the next level. Just be sure to bake your sweet potato extra long so its easy to mash and blends easily into our cupcakes.
Next, a super tip for getting extra chocolaty extra fudgy cupcakes (aka the cupcakes of our dreams!), add in melted chocolate to the batter. I try to incorporate this tip into every chocolate dessert I make. I am hooked on the texture and flavor it gives.
A brief, not too brief, brief on the frosting for these Healthy Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes.
You could take this dessert one of two ways. Make the frosting as written or do your own thing (i.e. make your favorite homemade frosting, or use something ready made).
There are pro’s and con’s to both.
Fluffy homemade fresh raspberry frosting is delicious, fluffy to boot, creamy, chock full of raspberry flavor, and requires just 5 simple ingredients. The con? The method is a bit involved. It requires an overnight soak, a water bath, and a high speed blender. This frosting is 100 percent worth it to me since the results are out of this world good.
BUT if you are looking to save some time, sub in your favorite frosting, slather it all over these Healthy Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes, take a big bite, enjoy and repeat.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons almond milk at room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked overnight and drained
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons melted coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon
- 1 pint raspberries mashed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together all of the wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet into the dry and stir to combine. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes spring back when touched. Remove from the oven. Let cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes. Transfer the muffins to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Once the muffins have cooled completely, add the frosting ingredients, except the raspberries to a blender. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Pour into a bowl and fold in the raspberries. Frost each cupcake and serve.