These Healthy Ice Cream Sandwiches are raw, paleo, vegan and gluten free! Smooth vanilla ice cream gets sandwiched between two chocolate cookies for a decadent and healthy dessert which only requires 20 minutes of hands on time!
Healthy Ice Cream Sandwiches. <—— Those might be my four favorite words ever to be uttered in the English language.
I actually had one of these Healthy Ice Cream Sandwiches for breakfast today. #noshame because nuts + seeds + no refined sweeteners AT ALL = the best breakfast food around.
And these Healthy Ice Cream Sandwiches win bonus points because they can be made without an ice cream machine or an oven. These no-bake treats are about as easy as it gets.
Plus they are crunchy and gooey chocolate cookies surrounding silky smooth and deeply vanilla flavored ice cream making them about as good as it gets.
Do you ever have this foodie dilemma where you want, scratch that, need some homemade ice cream, but you do not have an ice cream machine crammed into your overstuffed appliance cupboard which houses nearly every kitchen appliance known to man, but not this oneeeee appliance? And you don’t really want to purchase one because your overstuffed appliance cupboard just can’t house even one more gadget or gizmo, let alone a HUGE ice cream machine. And it seems all too tragic to spend the dough on one more appliance, which will undoubtedly bring more joy to your ice cream loving life, but will also go unused and collect dust for the many non-summer months of the year? Me too.
And you don’t really want to purchase one because your overstuffed appliance cupboard just can’t house even one more gadget or gizmo, let alone a HUGE ice cream machine. And it seems all too tragic to spend the dough on one more appliance, which will undoubtedly bring more joy to your ice cream loving life, but will also go unused and collect dust for the many non-summer months of the year? Me too.
You can hug me later.
And once you have made luscious vanilla ice cream, which by the way, only requires 5 minutes of hands on work, you can move onto your chocolate cookies.
These chocolate cookies use only 4 whole food ingredients. They can be made in 5 minutes with the help of a food processor. Oh, and they also taste like gooey cookie dough!
The cookie layer is based on my recipe for Raw Coconut Cookies, and adding ice cream to an already delicious dessert recipe is always a good idea. AmIRight?
I think I’m right.
For the ice cream:
- 2 15oz cans coconut cream
- 1/2 cup packed pitted medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder OR vanilla extract
For the cookie:
- 3 cups packed pitted medjool dates
- 3 cups walnuts
- 1 cup coconut
- 3/4 cup cacao nibs
- Add all the ice cream ingredients into a high-speed blender. Blend until completely smooth. Add into a glass or metal baking dish and place in the freezer. Freeze overnight or until completely set.
- The next morning, remove the ice cream from the freezer to soften while you are making the cookies.
- Add all the cookie ingredients into a food processor and process until the dough comes together and holds its shape when pinched. Press half of the cookie mixture into a 9×9 baking dish lined with parchment paper so that the paper overhangs on two sides, creating a place for your hands to grab and lift the ice cream sandwiches out of the pan later. Scoop the ice cream and smooth it over the cookie layer. Place in the freezer until set, bout 2 hours.
- Remove and press on the remaining cookie layer. Return to the freezer for 1 hour. Remove and slide a knife around the two edges that aren’t lined with parchment. Grab the parchment and use it to lift the ice cream sandwiches out of the baking dish. Cut into 16 ice cream sandwiches. Store the uneaten sandwiches in the freezer.