You won’t believe that these 10 ingredient Healthy Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes are a good for you! This simple recipe is gluten free, vegan and oil free.
These are oooey gooey caramelized healthy pineapple upside down cupcakes that literally MAKE THEIR OWN CARAMEL SAUCE as they bake and taste like the tropics but are secretly healthy to boot.
Do I have your attention now?
Great. Now can we take a tangent and talk about how good early September can be? I know, I just got your attention, but stick with me. The sun is still shining, the weather is still warm, but the nights cool down enough to let us start using the oven again. That cool night scene is made for baking things like these Healthy Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes.
Picture it now: you in a flannel, the crisp night air drifting in through the window, some good music playing in the background, as you whip up a batch of these Healthy Pineapple Upside Down Cakes. You living your best late summer/fall life, now.
This recipe is fairly easy, as in only requires 10 simple ingredients, but one thing that you will need is a heavy duty blender. These Healthy Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes are sweetened with dates. Hello, health benefits. Also, hello to strange-chunks-of-dried-fruit-floating-around-in-your-cake if you aren’t able to get the batter smooth as butter. But who knows, maybe that bite of chewy date will be a little sweet nugget of goodness? Maybe?
Other notable things that make these Healthy Pineapple Upside Down Cakes worthy of the H word in their title:
- Oat flour: just oats. Ground up. Practically as healthy as eating oatmeal. Healthy Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes for breakfast?
- Pineapple: the real kind with the prickly brown skin and green spiky crown, not canned.
- Maple syrup: healthy saucy caramel-y cakes, here we come.
- Coconut milk: healthy fats without the drawbacks of dairy.
- Oil free: I am not the oil police, but I have been getting more and more requests for this type of recipe. Challenge accepted.
For the love of caramel sauce.Print
For the upside down pineapple:
- 4 cups chopped pineapple
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup packed pitted dates
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the pineapple and coconut into a nonstick skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the pineapple has softened and has formed a caramel sauce. Spoon the pineapple into the bottom of each muffin cup.
- Add all the wet ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the wet into the dry and stir to combine. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups. Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. After 5 minutes, transfer the cupcakes onto a cooling rack and cool completely.