These Healthy Sweet Potato Cupcakes are gluten free, vegan, and packed with Fall flavor. The Sweet Potato Frosting is rich, creamy, and so easy to make!
I first dropped the words healthy and cupcake in the same sentence back when this carrot cake recipe hit the blog. Since then we’ve enjoyed a chocolate version, a cinnamon raisin version, and are still going strong with these cinnamon infused, pecan studded, Healthy Sweet Potato Cupcakes.
While these Healthy Sweet Potato Cupcakes aren’t your average light and fluffy vanilla cupcake, they are more like an extra extra sweet muffin that is still made with wholesome ingredients and topped with a sweet and creamy frosting. Healthy enough to enjoy as a snack and sweet enough to stand in for dessert. This is having your cake and eating it too!
The cakes themselves are packed to the brim with fall flavor. They are infused with sweet and sticky sweet potatoes, studded with crunchy pecans, and dusted with cinnamon. Maple syrup and coconut sugar give these Healthy Sweet Potato Cupcakes their essential sweet flavor and add in rich caramel notes.
But the crown jewel of these Healthy Sweet Potato Cupcakes? The sweet potato frosting! Not only do we use sweet potatoes to add flavor and moisture to the batter, but these cakes get topped with a sweet potato frosting to really pack in the flavor.
Instead of orange sweet potatoes, the frosting uses white sweet potatoes for their color and more neutral flavor. Then the frosting gets sweetened with maple, thinned with almond milk, and enriched with a little coconut oil. The result is an impossibly creamy frosting that can be made in 5 minutes in the blender!
- 1/2 cup mashed orange sweet potato
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup mashed white sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2-3 tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with nonstick liners.
- In a bowl, stir together all of the wet ingredients. Add in the dry ingredients and mix well to combine. Divide the batter between the cups and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled. Add all the frosting ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth, adding a third tablespoon of almond milk, if needed. Spread the frosting onto each cupcake. Top with extra chopped pecans, if desired.