Homemade Veggie Sushi is easier than you think! With a few insider tips, sushi won’t seem so intimidating. Then customize your roll with your favorite veggies and wow your friends by bringing the sushi bar home.
This is a Homemade Veggie Sushi Roll. Yes, homemade sushi, and you can do it too!
Don’t be intimidated. This is just rice and veggies and admittedly less common nori, but most of this recipe is made up of basic ingredients that we know and love, using basic skills, with just a few twists.
There’s no need to order takeout tonight! The hottest sushi spot is at your house.
There are a few tricks to conquer the slightly more intimidating steps in this Homemade Veggie Sushi Roll. But by the end of this post, you’ll be a sushi master!
We recently moved and I was hit hard with a hankering Homemade Veggie Sushi, but my trusty mat was still buried in the Mt. Everest of boxes. So, I tried rolling the sushi by hand, and while it tasted delicious, we ended up eating it out of a bowl. Lesson learned!
The inexpensive mat will be key for rolling your sushi into a tight roll that holds together when cut!
The second trick to perfect Homemade Veggie Sushi is the rice itself. Choosing the correct length of this humble white grain is a make or break-apart sushi move.
You’ll want to grab a bag of aptly named Sushi Rice at the store (or order it online when you grab your sushi mat and you’ll knock off two things at once!). This rice is starchier, which is essential for getting our Homemade Veggie Sushi to hold together.
The next trick is all in how you cook your rice. After you’ve followed the package directions, you’ll toss your rice with a mixture of rice vinegar and agave. Then you’ll get it into the fridge so it can cool down before you get rolling on this recipe.
Rice vinegar and agave not only give the rice an authentic flavor, but this step helps the rice become extra sticky, which is just what we want for perfect Homemade Veggie Sushi.
Now that you know all the tricks, you really are ready to get rolling!
Homemade Veggie Sushi is easier than you think! With a few insider tips, sushi won't seem so intimidating. Then customize your roll with your favorite veggies and wow your friends by bringing the sushi bar home.
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 4-6 sheets nori
- 1/2 red cabbage finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Cook the sushi rice according to the package directions. Add it to a large bowl and toss, don't stir, it with the rice vinegar and agave. Spread the rice out on a sheet pan and place it in the fridge to cool quickly. While the rice is cooking, now is a great time to prep your veggies.
- Once the rice is cooled, grab a sheet of nori and place it shiny side down on your bamboo mat. Take the rice and spread it out on the nori, leaving a 1 inch strip along the edge that is farthest away from your body. Use the back of a spoon to press the rice down and get it into a compact layer. The more the rice is stuck together, the better the roll will stay together.
- Add on some of each of the veggies. Lightly wet the strip of nori that is exposed (this allows the sushi to seal). Using the sushi mat, tightly tightly roll the sushi into a log. Repeat with the remaining rolls. Cut them into bite sized pieces and serve.