This Inside Out Quinoa Burger uses burger patties as buns! This 30 minute gluten free and vegan recipe is a fun twist on burger night!
We are flipping the burger on its head today.
No bun. Two patties. And all the fixins your heart desires.
This idea was inspired by a very similar dish at True Food Kitchen. When I lived in San Diego, I frequented this restaurant like a fan girl. The atmosphere was great, the food was even better. And this Inside Out Quinoa Burger was one of my favorite dishes.
Until the perilous day when I learned that they used eggs to hold their Inside Out Quinoa Burger together. If you can eat eggs, go immediately to the nearest True Food Kitchen and order this delicacy, but for us egg-intolerants, this discovery was a very sad day indeed.
So! To the kitchen I went because life just would not be even remotely complete without the Inside Out Quinoa Burger.
The idea behind this burger is rather genius. Instead of two buns and one burger patty, we double the burger and double the flavor. The quinoa patties are hearty enough to stand in like buns, so you can grab this burger with two hands and dive on in. They are also super flavorful and by swapping the flour for cooked quinoa, these patties are made with 100% whole foods.
Then you fill the space between the burgers with your toppings of choice. I love a good thick slather of homemade hummus, a thick tomato slice, some sweet onions and a handful of spinach, but the possibilities are endless. True Food Kitchen adds on a thick smear of tatziki sauce to their version. Mmmmmmmm…..
These burgers are also easy peasy to make. They are perfect for when you want a summer-y barbeque burger situation, but A) it is much much too hot to even consider standing outside in the scorching sun over a 400 degree pit of fire, or B) it is one of those spring/summer days where is is raining and the thought of holding an umbrella over the bbq is more sad than anything.
These burgers can be cooked on the stovetop in just 15 minutes. Just a one pan barbecue wonder.
This Inside Out Quinoa Burger uses burger patties as buns! This gluten free and vegan recipe is a fun twist on burger night!
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup plain hummus
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Tomato slices
- Spinach or lettuce
- Onion slices
- In a bowl, stir together all of the patty ingredients until well combined. Form into patty shapes. If the mixture is sticking to your hands, lightly coat them with water to prevent sticking.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick oil and place in the patties, cooking in patches if needed. Cook until golden brown, about 7 minutes and flip. Cook until the second side is golden. Let the burgers rest for 10 minutes on a cooking rack.
- Spread the patties with hummus and pile high with spinach, tomato, and onion slices. Serve.