Mediterranean Chickpea Cauliflower Tots are a fun and healthy spin on traditional tots! This side dish gets golden brown and crispy on the outside and is melt in your mouth on the inside. Plus, this recipe sneaks in some extra veggies, is gluten free, and vegan!
Grab a can of chickpeas, snag a head of cauliflower, and get ready for these crispy-crunchy, healthy, flavor-packed Mediterranean Chickpea Cauliflower Tots, that have made this big time potato-lover question why I haven’t been cauliflowering my tots for years!
They are everything you want in a tot. Golden brown and crunchy edges with creamy insides. The perfect dunk-able finger food. And it all starts with veggies and beans.
The best way to make these crave-able Mediterranean Chickpea Cauliflower Tots is with a food processor. It will chop the steamed cauliflower and garbanzo beans to the perfect size to mimic the texture of potato tots.
From there it’s just stirring together the rest of the ingredients, forming the batter into tots, and letting the oven take it from there.
You are well on your way to finger food dreams.
To give our Mediterranean Chickpea Cauliflower Tots their mediterranean flair, we add in a few herbs and spices:
- Fresh dill: adds a deeply herby flavor
- Fresh mint: this herb adds a pop of freshness
- Smoked paprika: a nice deep and smokey undertone
- Cumin: adds earthiness and rounds out the flavors in the tots
- Lemon: brightens up the tots with a splash of acid
All these herbs and spices freshen up the tots without taking over. Our Mediterranean Chickpea Cauliflower Tots are still ready and waiting to be dunked in ketchup.
Get your fingers ready…
- 6 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon garbanzo bean flour
- 5 mint leaves chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil plus more for cooking
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Add in the cauliflower and boil for 5 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain well and place in a food processor fitted with the S blade.
- Add the garbanzo beans into the food processor and pulse until the cauliflower and chickpeas are finely chopped, but not mushy, about 4-5 pulses. Add this mixture to a bowl.
- To the chickpeas and cauliflower, add in the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray. Form the mixture into tot shapes and line them up on the baking sheet. Drizzle a little more oil over the tops and sprinkle them with salt. Bake for 20 minutes, flip and bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown with crispy edges. Let the tots cool for 5 minutes, and then serve.