True or False.
When left alone I have been known to eat an entire head of cauliflower for dinner.
I am afraid that one’s true. A plate of perfectly roasted cauliflower or an overflowing bowl of cauliflower rice and my self control goes out the window. Theres just something about that veggie.
Call me behind the curve, but I didn’t try cauliflower rice until recently. It’s no surprise that I am hooked. I love that I can sneak in an extra serving of vegetables. I love how light it is. I can eat a bowl without the heavy feeing in my gut that sometimes appear after a meal that’s heavy in the starch department. And I love how easy it is to make. It cooks in 10 minutes – I am looking at you and your 50 minute cooking time, brown rice.
For this guilt-free meal I chopped up some seasonal vegetables (any will do) and got them roasting in the oven. While they cooked to roasted perfection, I pulsed up the cauliflower and added it to a warm skillet. Next I whirled the pesto to bright green perfection. All that was left to do was assemble and serve. And try not to eat the whole recipe…Print
This light and delicious meal is packed with veggie goodness. If your in the mood for a heartier meal, swap the cauliflower rice for your grain of choice. My current favorites are good old brown rice, millet, and quinoa.
- For the roasted vegetables:
- 3 carrots (, chopped into 1/2 inch lengths)
- 1 beet (, cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 10 Brussel sprouts (, halved)
- 2 medium Portobello mushrooms (, cut into 1 inch cubes)
- Drizzle of avocado oil OR olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- For the cauliflower rice:
- 1 large head cauliflower (, cut into florets)
- 1 tablespoon avocado OR olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cumin ((optional))
- Pinch paprika ((optional))
- For the pesto:
- 1 cup basil (, packed)
- 2 teaspoons white miso
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Pomegranate seeds for serving ((optional))
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss the roasting vegetables with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano. Spread the veggies out on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 30 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting add the cauliflower to a food processor. Pulse until it is the size of cooked rice. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your food processor. Add the cauliflower to a nonstick skillet with the oil and cook over medium heat until the cauliflower has softened, about 7-10 minutes. Season with salt, cumin and paprika if using.
- Add all the ingredients for the pesto into the food processor. Process until smooth, adding more olive oil or water if needed to get things moving.
- Add the cauliflower rice into your bowl. Top with veggies, pesto, and pomegranate seeds if using. Serve.