These Soft Ginger Cookies with Eggnog Glaze are a gluten free and vegan holiday dessert that everyone can enjoy! The soft spiced cookie gets topped with a sweet and creamy glaze. A secret ingredient keeps these cookies soft!
We are SO close to Christmas! It has me wishing for snow, driving real slow past Christmas lights, tying bows on packages, and dreaming of all the cookies I will be eating.
If there is one tradition that always stands true in my Christmas life, its cookies. No matter which side of the family, one thing that is always present is a big tray of Christmas cookies. Everyone brings a batch or two of their favorites, and a humungous tray is assembled. This plate of sugar, drop, oatmeal, and lace cookies seems to gargantuan to tackle, but somehow, by the end of the holidays, we have yet again, managed to polish the tray off.
No crumbs left behind.
Sounds familiar? I am sure many of you enjoy a good cookie spread during this time of year. And one cookie I know I’ll be packing with me? These Soft Ginger Cookies with Eggnog Glaze. They are sweet, gingery, molassesy, soft. Egnoggy, sweet, creamy, and spiced. Coated with sugar for that little crunch and then drizzled in glaze because, WOW.
The secret ingredient that makes these Soft Ginger Cookies soft, is pumpkin.
We dedicated an entire week to this fall ingredient earlier this year, and when I was scouering my cupboards for that one special ingredient that would get me soft cookies, the leftover cans of pumpkin were looking me right in the face.
And pumpkin worked! And worked well. The puree adds moisture to our Soft Ginger Cookies and the flavor is masked completely by the ginger and molasses.
It also doubles as an egg replaces which makes these cookies completely vegan as well as gluten-free. But trust me on this one, this is not a healthy tasting dessert. These Soft Ginger Cookies are full sugar, full flavor, and full of Christmas joy.
We have made quite the Tour de Cookie this Christmas. Here is the rundown:
- It all began with these shortbread cookies that had all the paleo vegan cookie fans REJOICING.
- Chocolate and peppermint met, because Christmas!!!
- Then we went to truffle town with this festive white chocolate and hazelnut combo.
- And let’s not forget those decadent pancakes for the perfect Christmas morning breakfast!
Now we round out our holiday cookie tray with these Soft Ginger Cookies, and I can’t wait for you to taste this one.
These Soft Ginger Cookies with Eggnog Glaze are a gluten free and vegan holiday dessert that everyone can enjoy! The soft spiced cookie gets topped with a sweet and creamy glaze. A secret ingredient - pumpkin - keeps these cookies soft!
- 1 cup organic cane sugar plus more for rolling
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree or applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup 1 to 1 gluten free baking flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons dried ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), cream together the coconut oil and sugar until it is light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed, about 3 minutes. Add in the molasses, pumpkin, and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, ginger, and salt. Add half the flour into the mixer, and mix until combined. Add the remaining half and mix until the dough comes together.
- Roll the dough into balls and coat them in sugar. Place the cookies on a greased baking sheet. Flatten the balls into cookie shaped disk with the bottom of a class cup or mug. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.