These Vegan Pizza burgers taste just like pizza in burger form! This surprisingly easy burger gets smothered in a dairy free mozzarella cheese sauce.
Today we are doing veggie burgers that taste like a slice of pepperoni pizza, topped with oooey gooey mozzarella cheese sauce all sandwiched between two golden brown, butter toasted buns.
Did I mention that these burgers are gluten-free, vegan, and STILL taste like a pepperoni cheese pizza in burger form?
This is the Vegan Pizza Burger and it is living its best life now.
It all started on a rainy afternoon: scrolling through Pinterest, listening to country music, doing the basic things that I do, when I saw a tall, juicy, cheese drenched pizza burger. It was zero percent gluten free, zero percent healthy, and zero percent plant based – scratch that, I’ll give it a two percent for the piece of lettuce swimming in all that glorious cheese.
Had I not been allergic to nearly every ingredient in that burger, you had better believe I would have found myself one to chow down on in T minus 5 minutes flat.
Instead, I ran to the grocery store and picked up some ingredients. A little sausage seasoning here, some tomatoes there, and 1 recipe for cheese sauce later and these Vegan Pizza burgers were born.
Though the ingredient list for this Vegan Pizza Burger is ten thousand miles long, it is the recipe for success, literally. Each one of those ingredients adds to the pizza flavor. Plus, it is secretly really easy to make. I like to think that I am a gourmet cook who runs a food blog, but I am basically just a lazy girl who really likes good food. Long recipes that keep me waiting to eat are not my thing. So, in true lazy gal fashion, we just throw all the burger ingredients into a food processor and let it do the work. Burger patties in almost one step.
Then, the burgers cook while you make your mozzarella sauce. How have we taken so long to chat about this Larger-Than-Life condiment? I do not even want to know. This sauce is gooey, creamy, and tastes just like mozzarella. You’ll have to soak your cashews before blending, but not even this lazy girl will be mad at that wait time. Not when the best ever dairy free mozzarella cheese sauce is on the line.
A burger and a pizza walked into a bar….
For the burgers:
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes (drained if packed in oil)
- 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/2 white onion (roughly chopped)
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup quick oats (gluten free if needed)
For the cheese sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons chickpea miso
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 pieces of lettuce
- 4 burger buns, (gluten free if needed and toasted with vegan butter)
- 4 slices red onion
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add all of the burger ingredients into a food processor except for the oats. Process until the mixture is broken down into small pieces and begins to stick together. Stir in the oats.
- Form the mixture into 4 burger patties. Place on the baking tray and bake for 40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the burgers are cooking, drain and rinse the cashews. Add all of the cheese ingredients and 1 cup of water into a high speed blender. Blend until silky smooth.
- Transfer the cheese to a saucepan and heat over medium-high, stirring constantly. Once the mixture simmers, remove it from the heat.
- Once the burgers are cooked, assemble and serve.