So… I’ve been told there’s a littttlllleeee thing tomorrow called the SUPER BOWL. But, I mean, no big deal or anything. It’s only the #1 sporting event in America, and in my books, the #1 day to eat all the comfort food. And, I ask you, who in their right mind would pass on that? Bring. It. On.
This year, I will absolutely positively without a doubt be serving this chili recipe. Think all the comforting flavors and textures of your favorite chili recipe without the heavy stomach feeling you’re left with after polishing off a bowl. Now, I know, your thinking “Just wait a minute there, that’s not possible. Veggie Chili?”
Well, dearest readers, I am here to tell you that it is.
The beans are a filling and hearty base for this veg-filled dish. The zucchini and carrots are a crisp bite, and the rich fire roasted tomato sauce takes this bowl of goodness to another level. Prepare to watch this one disappear quickly, my friends. I won’t judge if you make a double batch and hide it from others in the far back reaches of the fridge.Print
A veggie packed chili that is incredibly flavorful and satisfying!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 medium onion (, chopped)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder ((cocoa could work well too))
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoky paprika
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can pinto beans
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven, heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Add in the diced onion and carrot. Sauté until the onion is translucent and the carrots are beginning to soften. Add in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add in the tomato paste, chili powder, cacao powder, cumin, and paprika and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add in the tomato sauce and stir to combine. Add in 2 cups of water and stir. Cover and simmer for thirty minutes. Check on the chili a few times to make sure it is not becoming too dry. Add in up to 1/2 cup water if needed.
- Once the chili has simmered, add in the beans and lentils. Simmer for 10 more minutes. Add in the zucchini, honey, and salt. Simmer until the zucchini is tender, about 7-10 minutes. Serve.